Wednesday, November 7, 2007

oh, what a night

Yesterday was Election Day. And while I don't want to get all preachy and shit, suffice to say things did not turn out as I hoped they would here in Naptown.

What made it ever so slightly better is that I ended up spending the evening with people of like mind. The friendly neighborhood tavern turned into the midtown satellite office of the county party HQ. As despondent as I was, there were people there with a whole lot more to lose than my tenuous connections in the administration.

With each glass of wine, someone would bring up something else.

"What about the arts? What will happen to the murals downtown?"

"Forget about ever getting the SuperBowl."

"What's going to happen with the stadium and convention center expansion?"

"Who the hell is going to run the city???"

If my head didn't still hurt, I'd be even more despondent today.

3 comments:

nora leona said...

Yeah, giving a talk at 6:45 this morning really sucked. I was walking out the plant with a woman from United Way.
I asked if she'd watched the election coverage. She hadn't. I mentioned some of the folks the change of administration would effect. She said "Oh, do the staff people change too? I thought it was just the mayor."

Luckily I think I still had enought whiskey in my system to smile and keep walking.

Sadly, I had enough whiskey in my system last night to smoke a cigarette with Band Practice Boy. I wanted to send a tipsy email to AVS, but I sent one to a friend instead.

bad influence girl said...

When we send tipsy e-mails to people we shouldn't, that means they've won, Nora. Way to fight the good fight.

Jerry in Texas said...

At least Bart's henchmen have a prosperous career ahead of them in the band.

They rawked!

BTW, Nice to meet you, B.I.G.