Friday, December 14, 2007

Is that a Ritz or a saltine?

I got called a cracker this evening. While I was walking the dogs, down the street from my house.

Is that really still a valid racial slur? If so, what the fuck does it mean exactly?

Everytime I see a Cracker Barrel, I imagine the restaurant was built to house what must be the epitome of crackers. Maybe that's why I was so pissed. I am NOT a Cracker Barrel kind of person.

The girl must have been about 12 or 13 (ah...happy times of hormones, anger, and feelings of helplessness...I remember that age fondly). I threw out the baddest B.I.G. attitude I know how and said, "WHAT did you say?"

Her friend sold her out. "She called you a cracker."

"That's what I thought. You better watch that mouth!"

Honestly, it sounded more menacing than it reads. Really. Maybe. Probably not. My instinct was to add "you fucking bitch" to the end of it, but I figured someone should be the adult.

I hope it's Ritz. I really like those little peanut buttery ones.

3 comments:

nora leona said...

Wheat thins - just 'cause I want to be called thin.

nora leona said...

I'm listening to DL Hugley on the radio - he said that he's afraid to play in a club called "Crackers."

Jerry in Texas said...

Mmmm. Peanut butter Ritz.

I'm with you. But don't call me a cracker, bring me a cracker, dammit. And don't be stingy!